File Types Accepted-We accept Macintosh or PC vector based files such as those created in Adobe Illustrator or Macromedia Freehand. Sterling Impressions recommends that label artwork be created in such software applications as Adobe Illustrator or Macromedia Freehand. These programs are better suited for flexographic label artwork creation and prepress production. Please Note: page layout programs such as Quark Xpress or Pagemaker are supported, however they are not recommended for label art creation.
Media Accepted-We accept 3.5 floppy, Zip and Syquest 44-88-200 disks. Also accepted are CD-ROM's and email submission of art (please use Stuffit and do not email a file bigger than 1.5 meg). Email address for art is: email@example.com
Include with Artwork-Please include the following with all artwork.
- A printed directory of what is contained on the disk(s).
- A color composite and/or separated printout of the electronic artwork.
- Indicate on the printout the label size measurements; include corner radius, if applicable.
- The original file of any placed images contained in the electronic art file.
- Include the printer and screen version of each font used in the art file. If the file was created in a vector program (Illustrator or Freehand), you may convert all the fonts to paths. This also applies to fonts that have been used in any placed eps images. Please Note: we cannot edit text once it has been converted to paths.
All copy and graphics should be placed no less than 1/16 of an inch inside the die cut edge: this includes inside borders.
All bleed images must extend (bleed) 1/16 outside of the die cut. Bleed borders must be a minimum of 1/16 thick with an additional 1/16 bleed outside the die cut. It is not recommended to bleed a butt cut label.
Minimum size rule lines in positive print are 1/2 point. Minimum size rule lines in reverse print are 1 point.
Minimum size type in positive print is 4 point in both serif and san serif fonts.
Minimum size type in reverse print is 8 point for serif fonts and 6 points for san serif fonts.
Do not use extra bold or extra light fonts smaller than 8 point, in positive or reverse print.
Spot color screen values can range from no less than 3% to no more than 90%.
Graduated screen values can range from 3% to 100%.
Four color process screen value no less than 3%. Anything above 90% will probably print as 100%.
Scanned images for four color process and continuous tone printing must be 300 dpi at 100%.
Scanned line art and type must be 1200 dpi at 100%.
Scans should be saved to disk as TIFF or EPS files. Be sure to convert scanned color images to CMYK before saving to disk.
Do not apply trapping, Sterling's prepress department will determine and apply all necessary trapping.
It is important to us that your projects go smoothly. If you need additional information our staff is available to answer your prepress questions.